October 20, 2016
New Balance Live! (10/20)
The way we approach card balance in Clash Royale is a combination of playtesting and looking at the stats - in particular, card use rates and win rates. You can expect monthly balance changes to keep gameplay fine tuned and as fun as possible.
In this round of balance changes we're taking a look at a popular combo: Giant + Poison (aka, "Goison"), making a significant change to the Elixir Collector and more!
Giant: Hitpoints decreased by 5%
- Our previous Giant change didn't pull enough power from him, especially from where it matters, so this additional tweak (in conjunction with the Poison change below) should put him in a better place overall. The change is relatively small because our aim is to reduce the strength of Giant + Poison, but not remove it as a viable combo.
Poison: No longer slows movement and attack speed
- Thematically Poison's "thing" is damage over time, so we questioned whether it also needs to slow? Answer: no. This change will make Poison's functionality clearer and reduce its ability to control an area for 10 seconds.
Elixir Collector: Elixir cost increased to 6 (from 5), Elixir gain increased to 8 (from 7), Lifetime increased by 10sec
- Elixir Collector remains one of the most popular cards in the game - offering a good return on a small-ish risk. Increasing the Elixir cost by 1 will make it a bigger risk to play and give more opportunity to counterplay against it.
The Log: Rolls faster and further, Damage increased by 8%
- The Log has yet to find its place or purpose within the Arena, but this change will at least make it more impactful and easier to play while it continues the search.
Skeleton Army: Elixir cost decreased to 3 (from 4), Skeleton count decreased to 16 (from 21), Skeleton level increased by 5
- In the early game, Skeleton Army is a terror, but as more area damage cards come into play, its usefulness falls off. A cheaper cost and fewer, but stronger, Skeletons should address some of its weaknesses - and hopefully make it a terror once again!
Ice Golem: Death Damage also damages flying troops
- Bug fix.
Golem: Death Damage also damages flying troops
- For consistency with Ice Golem's Death Damage.
See you in the Arena,
The Clash Royale Team