February 19, 2016
New Balance Live! (2/19)
A core design philosophy of Clash Royale is "offense over defense." We've always found gameplay based on attacking rather than defending to be much more enjoyable to play and entertaining to watch.
With this in mind, we're making a few changes to try and reel in the trend of defensive decks based around buildings and direct damage to towers. We don't want to eliminate this strategy, but we do want to make it less prevalent, as it can be very frustrating to lose when you feel like you didn't have enough counterplay options.
Spells (Fireball, Arrows, Rocket, Zap, Lightning, Goblin Barrel impact): Damage to Crown Towers reduced by 20%
- This is the first and most important step towards reinstating our "offense over defense" philosophy.
Tombstone: Lifetime decreased to 40 seconds (from 60 seconds)
- Second "offense over defense" change; additionally, the Skeleton boost below will help maintain the Tombstone's balance.
Inferno Tower: Hitpoints decreased by 6% and lifetime decreased to 40 seconds (from 45 seconds)
- Third "offense over defense" change; Inferno Tower is the strongest defensive building in the game and provides too much versatility and value for 5 Elixir.
Musketeer: Damage increased by 11%
- We pulled a bit too much power from her with our previous re-work.
Golem & Golemite: Hitpoints decreased by 5%
- Use rate and win rate are telling us that the Golem is currently a bit too strong. This should bring him back in line.
Skeletons (affects Tombstone, Skeleton Army, Witch, Skeletons): Hitpoints and damage increased by 11%
- Apart from the Tombstone, all of these cards are underused at the top. We want to see more bones in TV Royale!
Witch: Damage increased by 3%
- Her usage is very low among top players. More damage and the Skeleton boost should make her a viable option once again.
Please leave your thoughts and feedback on our forum post!
See you in the Arena,
The Clash Royale Team