May 18, 2016
New Balance Live! (5/18)
In this round of balance changes we’re monitoring the Royal Giant, taking the edge off Freeze and giving the new cards some love!
We were a bit too cautious with the numbers for the new cards, so we’re looking to give them a boost and encourage everyone to give them a go! Sparky is looking quite good overall - her use rates and win rates are healthy - but she’s certainly a card that can take people by surprise and feel overpowered. Once you’ve figured her out, however, she’s not so scary.
Royal Giant: Damage decreased by 4%
- He’s great again! Maybe a little bit too great. We don’t want to tone him down too much, as his use rates and win rates don’t suggest he’s overpowered. A small damage reduction should rein him in a bit, and we’ll continue to keep an eye on him.
Freeze: Duration decreased by 1sec
- Hog+Freeze can be a devastating combo when pulled off correctly and is highly used at all levels. We don’t want to deter offensive gameplay, so instead of adjusting the Hog Rider, we wanted to first see how a change to Freeze would shake things up.
Furnace: Elixir cost decreased to 4 (from 5), hitpoints decreased by 14% and lifetime decreased to 40sec (from 50sec)
- The Furnace has a very low use rate so we decided a small re-work was in order. A lower Elixir cost, combined with decreased hitpoints and lifetime for balance, should make it a viable choice.
Fire Spirits: Area Damage radius increased by 25%
- Their damage is good, but they don’t always hit everything you’d like them to. This change should make them more reliable.
Guards: Hitpoints and damage increased by 8%
- Low use rates across the board. The ruthless bone brothers could do with some more hitpoints and damage to make them truly ruthless.
Miner: Hitpoints increased by 6%
- The Miner is a really fun card and people are still figuring out the best uses for him. He’s in pretty good shape overall, but a few more hitpoints should help him find his place in the Arena.
Lava Hound: Hitpoints increased by 3%
Lava Pups: Hitpoints increased by 9%
- As an 7 Elixir Legendary Card we don’t think the Lava Hound is impressive enough yet. In particular, his “second phase” when the Pups pop out could do with a boost to make him a more enticing choice.
Elixir Collector: Hitpoints decreased by 9%
- Use rate at the top is incredibly high - the most used card, in fact - making the Elixir Collector seem like too much of a compulsory choice (evidently our last change wasn’t enough). We don’t want any card to feel like a such an obvious choice, so we’re shaving some more hitpoints off.
Knight: Hitpoints increased by 10%
- The Knight is a great well-rounded basic troop, but his simple functionality can be overlooked by the snazzier cards you unlock later on, and as a result his use rates are very low overall. We’d like to see more of this mini-tank in the Arena.
Bomber: Damage increased by 10%
- Bomber is currently an underrepresented basic troop which offers so much in the early to mid game. More damage should help him to compete at the top also.
Cannon: Hitpoints decreased by 5%
- With the Royal Giant’s meteoric rise in fame, the Cannon has remained very popular, despite our last round of balance changes, and is the second most used card at the top. We’d like to take a few more hitpoints away and make it less of an obvious inclusion in so many decks.
Tesla: Hitpoints increased by 5%
- Tesla doesn’t currently stack up as a compelling choice next to the Cannon - a combination of this small boost and the Cannon’s hitpoint decrease should make choosing between the two a more interesting decision.
Golem & Golemite: Hitpoints increased by 5%
- The Golem’s use rate is relatively low, in part due to the popularity of direct counters such as the Minion Horde, and also because the new Tournament Rules and max card levels decreased the relative strength of Epic Cards. A small hitpoint boost should help the Golem become more viable.
Witch: Damage increased by 10%
- The Witch is an excellent early game pusher, but doesn’t get much playtime in the higher Arenas. More damage, plus the Skeleton boost below will hopefully make her an interesting choice at more levels of play.
Skeletons (affects Tombstone, Skeleton Army, Witch, Skeletons): Hitpoints and damage increased by 5%
- More bones in the Arena equals more fun.
Tombstone: Hitpoints increased by 10%
- Tombstone has fallen out of favor, but because it’s such a staple counter for the Prince in the early game, we’d like to see it as a more viable choice again. Additionally, this change should make it a possible alternative to the Cannon or Tesla in some decks.
Card Upgrade XP: Fixed for Epic and Legendary Cards
- XP gained for upgrading Epic and Legendary Cards will be in line with the equivalent levels of Common and Rare Cards.
See you in the Arena,
The Clash Royale Team