August 24, 2016
New Balance Live! (8/24)
The way we approach card balance in Clash Royale is a combination of playtesting and looking at the stats - in particular, card use rates and win rates. You can expect monthly balance changes to keep gameplay fine tuned and as fun as possible.
In this round of balance changes we’re taking a look at the Royal Giant, several of the Legendary Cards and much more!
Royal Giant: Hit Speed decreased to 1.7sec (from 1.5sec)
- We like that the Royal Giant is a strong and relatively easy to use offensive option. However, he’s too strong right now - this change will allow him to stay relevant, but make him a bit easier to deal with. Additionally, his first attack will happen a bit slower.
Zap: Stun Duration decreased to 0.5sec (from 1sec)
- Zap is highly used at all levels of play and currently offers a bit too much versatility for 2 Elixir.
Princess: Area Damage radius decreased by 25%
- We’d like to make the Princess slightly less reliable at clearing up everything in the vicinity of her target.
Ice Wizard: Hit Points decreased by 5%
- Considering how much control he offers, the Ice Wizard is a bit too tanky for his 3 Elixir cost. He’ll still be very strong at the back, but doesn’t offer the same value in the middle of the action.
Miner: Deploy Time increased to 1sec (from 0.7sec), Hitpoints decreased by 6%
- We’re fixing an unintentional Deploy Time change, and in doing so making the Miner a bit easier to react to once again. Additionally, it’s become clear that the Miner is quite strong and could do with being toned down a notch.
Baby Dragon: Hit Speed increased to 1.6sec (from 1.8sec)
- A faster Hit Speed, including a quicker first attack, will make the Baby Dragon more reliable.
Dark Prince: Damage increased by 7.5%
- The Dark Prince’s stats aren’t quite on par with some other 4 Elixir options. A small damage buff should make him a more viable alternative in both defense and offense support.
Bowler: Elixir cost decreased to 5 (from 6), Hitpoints decreased by 7%, Damage decreased by 10%
- A lower Elixir cost should allow for some interesting Bowler synergies to become viable. We’re taking a bit of damage and hitpoints away from him to help compensate for this pretty big change.
Lumberjack: Speed increased to Very Fast (from Fast), Hit Speed increased to 0.7sec (from 1.1sec), Damage decreased by 23%
- We’d like to differentiate the Lumberjack from the Mini P.E.K.K.A a bit further, as both are 4 Elixir, high damage cards. This change should help them fill quite different roles in your deck.
The Log: Cast time decreased by 66%, travel speed increased by 20%
- The Log needs some love. This change will make it more consistent and reliable. (Note: We have some other tricks up our sleeves if this isn’t enough, but they are only possible to implement with a full update)
Golem: Hit and Death Damage increased by 5%, Hitpoints increased by 1%
Golemite: Hit and Death Damage increased by 8%, Hitpoints increased by 3.2%
- At 8 Elixir the Golem needs a lot of power to feel viable - these changes will hopefully get it there!
P.E.K.K.A: Damage increased by 5%
- P.E.K.K.A has quite low use rates across the board and could do with some more muscle! We're also making her first attack happen a bit quicker.
Tombstone: Spawn Speed increased to 2.5sec (from 2.9sec)
- We’re looking to give the Tombstone more utility in both offense and defense.
Archers: Damage increased by 2%
- This tiny damage increase is just to fix an inconsistency with the Archers vs. Goblins interaction at certain levels.
Prince: Damage increased by 2%
- This tiny damage increase is just to fix an inconsistency with the Prince vs. Barbarians interaction at certain levels.
The Clash Royale Team