April 25, 2018
Balance Update Live! (4/25)
The way we approach card balance in Clash Royale is a combination of playtesting, listening to the community and looking at the stats. You can expect regular balance updates to keep gameplay fine tuned and as fun as possible.
In this balance update we're taking a look at Dark Prince, Spear Goblins, Barbarian Barrel and more!
- Dark Prince: Shield Hitpoints -25%
- The last Balance Update made the Dark Prince faster and a bit tougher to deal with... maybe a bit too much. With reduced Shield Hitpoints, it'll require less damage to knock off the Dark Prince's shield, allowing for faster counterplays against him.
- Spear Goblins (affects Spear Goblins, Goblin Gang, Goblin Hut): Hit Speed 1.1sec → 1.2sec
- All 3 Cards that feature Spear Goblins have a heavy (and punishing!) presence in different metas. Increasing their Hit Speed should scale back their versatile usage just a bit.
- Barbarian Barrel: Range 6.5 → 7
- Our Barrel loving Barbarian hasn't quite found his place within the Arena yet. Increasing Range makes him a bit more reliable at hitting targets and also brings the brave Barbarian closer to Towers. If a Tower is down however, he'll now be able to reach the King, providing better opportunities to secure 3 Crowns.
- Knight: Hitpoints +3%
- Even after the last Balance Update, the Knight is still a versatile and popular choice, but a small increase in Hitpoints should put him in a good spot for top level play as well.
- Dart Goblin: Damage +3%
- The Dart Goblin’s unique and fast-paced gameplay has struggled to find a solid place within different metas. However, now that he exclusively chews Double Trouble Gum, he's able to blow darts a bit harder, dealing more damage, and even two-shotting Minions!
- Ice Spirit: Area Damage -4%; Freeze Duration 1.5sec → 1sec
- Ice Spirit is both a fun and difficult Card to master. With a whopping cost of 1 Elixir, plus its versatile usage, there's no question to why it was highly present in top level play. Adjusting Area Damage and Freeze Duration should scale it back just enough to keep it competitive, while toning down its tremendous value a notch.
- Skeleton Barrel: Skeleton count 6 → 7
- Skeleton Barrel offers the opportunity for different gameplay situations, troop combinations and counterplays. Adding 1 more Skeleton should make it a viable choice for both competitive and fun play again.
- Lightning: Radius 3 → 3.5
- Lightning has seen multiple adjustments in the past (reduced Radius, Damage and Crown Tower Damage). This increase in Radius should help make Lightning a viable choice for battle again.
- Tornado: Duration 2.5sec → 2 sec; Damage per second +21% (this affects Total Damage -3%)
- While being difficult to master, Tornado can be dominant when played well. Slightly reducing its pull duration balances interactions against big pushes, aka, these troops won't be immobilized for such a long time anymore. To compensate the pull reduction, Damage per Second will pack a bigger punch (ex: at tournament level, Tornado will be able to kill Skeletons and Bats in 2 ticks, rather than 3).
- Magic Archer: hits moving targets better
This is meant to address situations where the Magic Archer couldn't hit spawning units from a Tombstone or Goblin Hut.
- Spells: can now be played on the river
Fixed: In rare cases, Cannon Cart was not being targeted after losing its shield
Fixed: Witch would sometimes switch targets (while being locked to a tower), if spawning skeletons pushed her target out of range
Fixed: In rare cases, Sparky's hit would reset if she's knocked out of range while charging
Fixed: Hunter can now hit targets on top of him
The Clash Royale Team